Application for a PhD Fellowship
The application for a PhD fellowship of the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds consists of two parts:
- the online application sent by internet and
- two paper copies of the application including one CD to be sent by surface mail.
Both must be submitted by one of the respective deadlines of each year (date as per postmark for the paper version): 1 February, 1 June, 1 October
The entire application - including the project proposal - must be written in English and by the applicants themselves. However, we recommend consultation with the scientific supervisor. The form of the presentation should be adequate but simple; please do not staple, tack or bind documents.
The two paper copies should contain all the data and documents listed under (1) – (9). The CD, clearly labelled with applicant's first name and family name should contain documents (1) - (7) preferably in one PDF file.
Applicants can facilitate the selection process by adhering to the following sequence:
1. to 5. two-sided printouts, if possible;
- Title and summary of PhD project (should not exceed one page);
- detailed presentation of PhD project (please also refer to "How to write a research proposal"): formulation of the problem, current status of research, applicant's own groundwork, objectives, experimental strategy including methods of investigation, work schedule showing the anticipated duration of the entire project and the individual steps;
- reasons for wishing to work with a particular group;
- summary of diploma or equivalent thesis which should not exceed one page;
- list of applicant’s publications (if applicable);
- certificates of all academic qualifications (including grades) and certificates of professional education prior to university (if applicable); in chronological order, the newest on top; photocopies suffice;
- photocopies of university entrance qualification or high school-leaving exam certificate, (e.g. Abitur, A-levels, Baccalaureat);
- letter of recommendation from the supervisor of the PhD thesis;
- letter of recommendation from the supervisor of the diploma or equivalent thesis (only if changing research group for the PhD project); letters of recommendation (on official letterhead and signed) have to be written in English and may be sent together with the application or by the supervisors themselves via surface mail, or as a PDF attachment
(Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds, Schusterstr. 46-48, 55116 Mainz, Germany; firstname.lastname@example.org)