How we are organized
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is governed by its Board of Trustees and its Executive Committee in accordance with its Articles of Association. Its day-to-day business is run by the Managing Director and her team. The director is appointed by the Executive Committee.
A tradition of excellence
Our Board of Trustees is an independent committee of experts. It is composed of six internationally renowned scientists, a member of the Shareholders' Committee of Boehringer Ingelheim and, as a permanent guest, a representative of the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG).
The trustees work in an honorary capacity and decide on all matters of fundamental importance. They also scrutinize and decide on the applications for our PhD and MD fellowship programmes and review proposals for the International Titisee Conferences.
We are proud to state that from the very beginning, the BIF has succeeded in appointing to the Board of Trustees distinguished scientists from universities and other institutes of basic research who enjoy the confidence of their peers. Their high standards of quality and stringent selection criteria have gained the BIF the recognition and the esteem of the scientific community.
Our Board of Trustees
The trustees are appointed by the donors of the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds for a tenure of three years. Renewal is possible. The current trustees are:
- Prof. Dr Dr Andreas Barner, Shareholder Committee, C.H. Boehringer Sohn AG & Co. KG, Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany (Chairman)
- Prof. Dr Dr Thomas Braun, Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Bad Nauheim, Germany
- Prof. Dr Reinhard Jahn, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
- Prof. Dr Christian Klämbt, University of Münster, Münster, Germany
- Dr Ingrid Ohlert, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Bonn, Germany (permanent guest)
- Dr Jan-Michael Peters, Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Vienna, Austria (Deputy Chairman)
- Prof. Marina Rodnina, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
- Prof. Dr Andrea Schietinger, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA.
Our Executive Committee
Following consultation with the Board of Trustees, the donors appoint three members of the Board to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee attends to the regular business of our Foundation and implements the resolutions of the Board. A minimum of two Executive Committee members are required to represent the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds in legal and non-legal matters. The current members are:
- Prof. Dr Dr Andreas Barner (Chairman)
- Prof. Dr Thomas Braun (Deputy Chairman)
- Dr Jan-Michael Peters.
The Managing Director is appointed by the Executive Committee and acts in accordance with its instructions. Together with her staff, she conducts the day-to-day business of the BIF. The current Managing Director is
- Dr Claudia Walther
The BIF offices are situated in the heart of Mainz, Germany.